Tuesday, August 30, 2011

30 August 2011

Here's a picture of grow bed #1 today.  Peas are back against the little fence, lettuce is in the middle (tiny plants), and bush beans are in the foreground.


I just ordered trout feed - would you believe there's such thing as Purina Game Fish Chow?  LOL!!!  That's actually not what I ordered, but I thought it was funny.  I ordered BioTrout from a nice man named Walter at Bio-Oregon.  BioTrout contains more protein. 

I'm hoping to add fish in a week or two.  My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all good, and the water temperature has finally gone down a little.  According to what I've read, trout don't like water to be over 68 degrees Fahrenheit, and last week when our outdoor temperatures were getting high, so was the temperature of the water.  The water got up to 68 degrees, but I was afraid it would keep getting hotter, so I didn't want to introduce baby fish to a hot tub.  Unlike some parts of the country, though, I think the danger of an extended heat wave is pretty much over in Colorado Springs, so it should be safe to get the fish.  If trout prefer cold water, just wait a few weeks, they will love it here! Now I just need to wait for the feed to arrive and figure out how to get up to Fort Collins during the fish place's business hours. 

I was hoping to get brook trout since I think they would be more content to hang out in a pool of water, but the fish place only has rainbow.  Besides, I was going to name them Brookie 1, Brookie 2, etc....Now I have to think of new names.  Rainbowie 1?  That just doesn't have the same ring to it.  Silvery 1 through Silvery 40?  ;-)

Whatever, they will all taste good on my plate next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment